One of my favorite party trends lately is the use of yarn pom pom garlands. I think these garlands are just too cute and with the endless array of yarn colors available, they can be made to match just about anything!
I love that yarn pom pom garlands can be re-purposed time and time again and never lose their “poof”. And for those of you throwing a baby shower for a friend or family member, the garland could even be incorporated into the baby’s nursery.
If you are hosting an upcoming party and want to add a unique element to the décor, follow these simple steps to learn how to make a yarn pom pom garland.
Here are the supplies you will need:
- Yarn in desired colors ( I used white, butter cream yellow, baby pink and mint green)
- Clover Pom Pom Maker (This tool is so simple to use and turns out perfect every time!)
- Plastic yarn needle (not necessary, but it makes it easier to string the poms together)
Alright, let’s get crafting.
1. Lay out all of your materials.
2. Grab your yarn and pom pom makers (for this garland, I used the 2 1/2 inch and 3 3/8 inch pom pom makers by Clover which can be purchased in a twin pack here on Amazon.com).
3. Open the pom pom tool and start wrapping the yarn around one of the plastic arms until there is no plastic showing through.
4. Close the plastic arm and continue wrapping the same strand of yarn on the opposite plastic arm of the tool.
5. Once both arms of the yarn tool are completely covered, cut the yarn.
6. Now align your scissors between the two circles and begin cutting the yarn. The yarn tool will keep everything in place until you are able to secure the pom pom together.
7. Cut a 6” piece of yarn and bring it through the center of the tool through the cut yarn. Tie a knot to secure the pom pom together.
8. Separate the top and bottom portion of the tool….and POOF you have a yarn pom pom.
9. Trim up any pieces of yarn that don’t match up with the rest of the pom.
10. Repeat steps 1-9 to make as many yarn pom poms as you would like. For this pom pom garland, I used a total of 25 poms in varying sizes which made a 6 ft. long garland.
11. Cut an 8 ft. long strand of yarn to string the pom poms along which will give you one foot on each end for hanging.
12. Now lay out all of the poms in the order you plan to string them on the garland. This makes it faster to string together and ensures that the colors and sizes line up the way you want.
13. Use the yarn needle to string together the pom poms. If you don’t have yarn needle handy, you can also secure a piece of tape over the end of the string to make it easier to push through each pom pom.
14. Adjust the pom poms on the string and you’re done!
I hope you found this tutorial helpful. It’s a fun project to bookmark for a rainy day or to pull out for the next event you host. Whether the celebration is in honor of a child, bride-to-be, expecting momma or a friend, a yarn pom pom garland is a fun DIY project that will add some whimsy and create a “wow factor” for the party. And of course, if you aren’t into making it yourself, you can always purchase a fully customizable yarn pom pom garland to match your event from the One Stylish Party shop!