Hello there One Stylish Party readers, Jaclyn here from Peckled.com. I had so much fun partying with you last week and sharing my daughter’s tea party birthday – I couldn’t wait to visit with you again! This time I’m sharing a paper rosette garland tutorial.
It may sound silly, but I’m always so impressed at how classy, dainty, and simply beautiful these garlands turn out to be. They are my favorite DIY party element because just by using festive paper and thoughtful embellishments rosette garlands can set the theme, feature details, and tie everything in all at the same time. Plus, they’re really fun to make!
But don’t let the fun stop at parties – hang these garlands in your home as a festive way to welcome a holiday or season. In this case, November – the month of being thankful.
Here are the supplies you will need:
- 4 sheets of 12”x12” cardstock craft paper (double sided is best!)
- hot glue
- paper circle cutouts (to secure middle of rosette)
- paper cutter (or scissors)
- paper scorer (or your fingers!)
You ready? Let’s go!
1. Cut each sheet of paper into 3”x12” strips. (TIP: For perfect pinwheels every time, no matter the size, make sure the length is 4x the width.) 4 sheets of 12”x12” craft paper will yield sixteen 3” strips (four per sheet). You will use two strips per rosette, thus 4 sheets of paper will make 8 rosettes.
2. Place two strips on your scoring board facing each other. (This makes your life easier later.)
3. Score at desired interval. (I did half inch.)
4. Fold strips accordion style along score marks.
*Don’t have a paper cutter or scoring board? No problem! Simply use scissors to cut paper to appropriate length and manually fold paper accordion style. The scoring board just makes the folds more precise.
Take a moment to look at your strips. You should have one end that folds “up” (left side of photo) and one that folds “down” (right side of photo). This is why you faced your paper together when scoring. You will love knowing this trick. It will save you a lot of ripped paper, funky folds, and other rosette mishaps. Trust me.
5. Hot glue your two strips together. Place hot glue on the “up” side and place the “down” side on top of it.
6. You now have a long piece of folded paper.
7. Wrap around and attach the ends just as in step 5. (TIP: If for some reason you don’t end up with an “up” edge and a “down” edge, just cut off a segment until you do and proceed.)
8. You should have an evenly spaced and secure circle.
9. Push the outside of your circle inward and down to form a fan.
10. While holding down apply a HUGE GLOB of hot glue.
11. Secure immediately with paper cutout. (Or other desired element.)
12. Apply weight immediately and allow to dry approx. 10 minutes. (Expect a much longer drying time for other adhesives. The rosette pops itself back up easily until it is completely dry.)
Repeat until you have the desired number of paper rosettes. Then, string together, add some letters and hang!
If you’re in the mood to keep crafting, you can embellish with festive mason jar lids. Here’s how:
1. Gather lids & rings. (Available in the canning section of your local grocer.)
2. Adorn as desired. Seen here: twine, burlap ribbon, & feathers.
3. Trace lid, cut out and attach.
4. Invert into ring and apply hot glue seal.
5. Attach the adorned mason jar ring to the rosette with hot glue.
6. Apply glue liberally to ensure it is secure. You may end up seeing glue globs (PET PEEVE!), but you can pick them off or use a blow dryer to melt glue strings once it is dry.
7. Attach letters or other embellishments. String & hang.
I sincerely hope you enjoyed this tutorial – I certainly enjoyed putting it together and am equally thankful for the opportunity to share it with you! Happy November One Stylish Party readers, until next time… stay peckled, love Jaclyn.
Win a thankful paper rosette garland!
Yep, you’ve read it right. I’ve teamed up with One Stylish Party to host a fabulous giveaway for a handmade paper rosette garland. You can win the Thankful garland as pictured, or I can customize the colors of the paper rosettes to compliment the decor for your Thanksgiving celebration. Wow your guests this year and show all that you are thankful for this holiday season with this adorable paper rosette garland. Prize includes shipping to the winner. Simply confirm you are a Facebook fan of Peckled and One Stylish Party through the widget below, plus you can gain additional entries through Twitter. Entries close at 12 am on Friday and the winner will be announced Friday morning. The prize will be shipped shortly after to ensure delivery before Thanksgiving!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Get to know Peckled
My name is Jaclyn Peck and I’m the mad hatter behind peckled – a personal blog where you’ll find a spot of this, a speckle of that, and a Peckful of anything else in between. Meaning, anything goes around here!
As a rededicated stay-at-home homemaker I find myself wearing more hats than ever – and I’m doing my best to explore the potential of each one.
From crafting, experimenting in the kitchen, playing with my sweet Lil E’Boo, working on the house inside & out, finding easy ways to clean the castle, and keeping the love alive between me and Sweet Pea – I hope to make the most of my blessings. I invite you to follow along on Peckled.com and connect with me through Facebook and Pinterest too!