I may not be reinventing the wheel here, but there is something about tissue pom poms that just make me giddy. Maybe it’s the endless array of colors that they come in, or the simplicity of whipping one together, or the art of getting just the right amount of poof to make the perfect pom pom.
Yes, they may have been a wedding trend of the 80’s, but they have definitely made a comeback as an adorable, yet affordable party decoration.
For those of you who want to add a pop of color to your next party, follow these simple steps to learn how to make a tissue pom pom garland! It’s a cute twist on an old classic that perfectly complements and dresses up almost any occasion!
To start you will need:
– Desired colors of tissue paper (I used 20” x 26”)
– Thin floral wire
– 12 ft of ribbon
Now let’s get started.
- Lay out a stack of 8 sheets of tissue paper.
- Cut the tissue paper in 5” strips.
- Take each strip and cut in half so you have two 5” x 10” strips.
- Make a 1” fold on the tissue paper.
- Turn the paper over, and fold it again accordion style until the strip is completely folded.
- Next, cut 2 small triangle notches in the middle of the strip, which will make it easier to fluff the pom pom later.
- Then trim each end in your desired shape. I prefer to round my edges, but you can also make them pointed. Here’s a tip: if the strip is too thick, cut the ends half at a time. They don’t have to line up perfectly.
- Next, wrap a 6” piece of floral wire around the folded stack of tissue paper.
- Twist the floral wire like a twisty tie. Leave the ends log so you can twist them to make a loop to hang the pompom later.
- Now comes the fun part. Take each layer of tissue paper and fluff! I usually alternate the direction I pull the paper to make sure it is uniform in shape.
- Once one slide is completely fluffed, move on to complete the other half.
- Twist the loose ends of floral wire to make a loop to hang the tissue pom pom.
- Repeat steps 1-12 to make a total of 12 pom poms for a 12’ garland.
- String each pom pom on the ribbon, leavng an 8″ space between each pom pom. Make sure you leave 2 ” of ribbon on either end of the ribbon to hang the garland.
- Now step back and admire your masterpiece!
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! If you’ d like to decorate your next celebration with a tissue pom pom garland, but don’t feel like putting in all of the work, visit the One Stylish Party Etsy shop where we sell tissue pom pom garlands that are pre-cut and pre-strung. And if we don’t have your desired colors in stock, we take custom orders to match almost any theme or color palette. Once your garland arrives, all you have to do is fluff and hang!